Environmentally friendly buildings have been increasing in popularity for years. Experts expect the market to surge even more over the next few years, as demand for eco-friendly housing reaches an all-time high. Eco-friendly construction isn’t limited to energy efficient LED and solar panels. In fact, environmentally friendly construction should begin with the materials used to build the home. Numerous eco-friendly building materials have appeared on the marketplace in recent years with the goal of reducing the environmental impact of traditional construction.
Finding the best building material for your custom home can be tricky with so many different options available. Here are six eco-friendly options to think about when discussing plans with your luxury custom builder in Santa Fe, NM:
- Bamboo: Bamboo isn’t just food for pandas—it’s actually one of the eco-friendliest building materials out there. Bamboo grows at a tremendous rate, with some species growing up to three feet in less than a day. This natural material is exceptionally strong, durable and can last for decades. It can be used for everything from walls to flooring and cabinetry.
- Cork: Cork is another fast-growing option. Its resilience and resistance to wear make it perfect for flooring and soundproof insulation. Cork is also a great thermal insulator preferred by many luxury custom builders in Santa Fe, NM.
- Wood: The standard wood is still regarded as one of the best building materials. Wood is actually a more environmentally friendly choice than concrete or steel. It requires less energy-intrusive methods to harvest the wood and process it into construction products. Wood should only be purchased from a properly managed provider that re-plants responsibly after harvesting.
- Recycled plastic: The use of recycled plastic as a building material is a prime example of one man’s trash becoming another’s treasure. Ground-up recycled plastics can be reformed into a mixture of concrete that can then be used for siding. This reduces greenhouse gas emissions and can help cut down the amount of plastic waste that gets sent to landfills.
- Reclaimed metal: Need a material that will last for decades? Then choose reclaimed metal. The material is taken from demolished buildings and then used in new projects. Reclaimed metal can stand strong for years without needing to be replaced. Its water and pest resistance make it a suitable choice for roofing, building fronts and structural supports.
- Precast concrete slabs: Traditional poured concrete is notoriously bad for the environment because it takes a tremendous amount of energy to produce. Precast concrete slabs are a perfect alternative. The slabs require minimal energy to create and assemble. This affordable building material is perfect for controlling heat within a building.
Ready to begin creating your environmentally friendly dream home with the help of a luxury custom builder in Santa Fe, NM? Then call Apple Construction LLC today! Our design-build firm specializes in custom construction and home remodeling in a wide variety of architectural styles. We’re experts in using eco-friendly building materials throughout the construction process. Contact us today to learn more about our eco-friendly concepts and high-quality materials!
Categorised in: Custom Homes