Whether you are in the process of looking for your first home or your third home, know that you have options. Maybe, like many other home buyers, you have your sights set on purchasing an existing property. However, another popular route to take these days is investing in a custom-built home. If a custom home is your dream, make sure you plan every detail well—find the right builder, understand the project timeline and have a place to stay during the construction process.
You want to start living in your new home as soon as possible—we get that! To avoid snags, here are five things an experienced home builder in Santa Fe, NM wants you to consider when building a custom home:
- Select the best home builder: There’s a lot of freedom allowed with a new home build, especially custom homes. But first things first: choose the right home builder for you. This is the most important step in the home building process, so you must be sure you are working with a builder you can trust with the entire project. Before making a decision, ask a few builders about costs, timeframes and customization options. It’s also a good idea to meet a few times to get a feel for each other.
- Get recommendations: Ask the people you know to help you choose the right custom home builder. Talk to family, friends, coworkers, neighbors and relatives in the area who have gone through with a new build. You can also head to your local home improvement store and see if the employees there know any custom builders. Some may even have a pin board for contractors and local businesses to leave their information for prospective clients.
- Home features: What features do you want in your home? Since the features you want will impact the overall costs for materials, design and labor, you need to make a list before reaching out for estimates. Knowing what you want ensures the most accurate estimates from contractors.
- Meet with builders: Don’t hire the first and only custom home builder you find online. Even if you know the builder personally, it’s in your best interest to interview multiple builders (at least three of them) for your upcoming project. This step helps you learn more about the building process and what’s involved, and better compare all the bids in front of you. When comparing builders, look closely at experience, reliability, record of workmanship and reviews from past clients. Choose someone you feel you can work with stress-free for months at a time.
- Understand delays happen: No matter how well-planned your new home build project is, there is always room for snags. There are a number of unpredictable or unavoidable delays, so be ready for them. Common types of delays include bad weather (extreme heat or heavy rain) and having to wait for concrete to set. Let your expectations be flexible and you’ll be more pleased with the results.
When you decide to build a custom home, reach out to a trusted and experienced home builder in Santa Fe, NM at Apple Construction LLC. Give us a call anytime to arrange a consultation!
Categorised in: Custom Homes