Considering a Kitchen Remodel in Santa Fe, NM? Here’s a Look at the Pros and Cons of Popular Countertop Materials
When it comes to choosing countertop materials to install in your home, you may be shocked to find out you’ve got several options, including marble, granite, laminate and butcher’s block, to name just a few. But because each of these offers something a little different, you should set aside some time to learn about your options. Do this whether you want to hire a professional to complete the project or do the installation yourself. For anyone planning a kitchen remodel in Santa Fe, NM, here’s a look at the pros and cons of the most popular countertop materials.
The main characteristics
There are a handful of countertop characteristics you should be aware of, all of which vary depending on what the kitchen countertop is made of:
- Cost: Each popular countertop material varies in price. Some are way more expensive than others, while others are less expensive but still of good quality.
- Durability: Keep the following factors in mind when considering the durability of a kitchen countertop: scratch resistance, heat resistance and chemical resistance. If the material you choose is susceptible to these factors, more frequent maintenance may be needed.
- Cleaning and maintenance: Before settling on a material, know how much effort you are willing to put into cleaning and maintaining your new kitchen countertops. Homeowners who cook on a regular basis may want something that is easy to clean, but a family that uses their countertops more for hanging out than preparing food may not.
- Appearance: Countertop surfaces come in a variety of colors. Some have natural colors, while others can be custom made a certain color and pattern by the manufacturer. Take a look at photos of surface material colors when choosing one that matches the interior of your home.
Countertop surfaces range from real stone to synthetic materials. Here are the pros and cons of the most popular options.
Marble ($50 to $150 per square foot installed)
- Pros: Marble countertops are available in a wide range of colors and patterns. It’s a heat-resistant smooth surface that won’t dent or chip.
- Cons: Marble can be expensive if you’re on a tight budget. And even when sealed well, it’s susceptible to scratching and damage by acidic substances like coffee, alcohol, citrus and harsh cleaning products.
Granite ($40 to $100 per square foot installed)
- Pros: Granite offers lots of color options. It’s very durable, won’t scratch and is resistant to stains, water and heat when sealed. It is super low maintenance and good for home value.
- Cons: Granite is an expensive material that ought to be resealed once a year.
Laminate ($10 to $40 per square foot installed)
- Pros: Laminates are stain-resistant, waterproof, low maintenance, inexpensive and available in many colors.
- Cons: While laminate can be made to resemble other materials, it can also crack and scratch. It’s not heatproof and is typically hard to repair.
If you have plans for a kitchen remodel in Santa Fe, NM and want to work with the best team in the business, look no further than Apple Construction LLC. Call today to learn more!
Categorised in: Remodeling