Saving energy is something we all must do to some degree to protect the planet, but it benefits all of us as individuals, too. Deploying energy saving strategies, like upgrading to energy-efficient home features, can also save you money on your energy bills. The good news is that everybody has the ability to be more energy efficient. Start by making some simple changes, or dive right into big home improvement projects that save energy.
If you’re a homeowner who is interested in energy-saving remodeling in Santa Fe, NM, then the following information is for you. Here’s what you can do to transform your home into an energy-saving machine:
- Change daily behaviors: Making a handful of simple changes to your everyday behaviors can add up in a big way, especially when it comes to household energy usage. Turn off lights when you leave a room, turn down the thermostat in the winter, use fans instead of the air conditioner during warm summer days and use a clothesline to dry clothes. When you use less electricity, you can save energy and lower your monthly energy bills.
- Switch from normal bulbs: Switching from older incandescent lightbulbs to LED or CFL bulbs can help your household use up to 80 percent less electricity. These types of bulbs will cost more money initially, but they last longer than traditional bulbs.
- Install a programmable thermostat: One of the easiest ways to make your HVAC system more energy efficient is to take out your manual thermostat and replace it with a smart or programmable model. No more manually adjusting the thermostat on a regular basis! An energy-saving thermostat adjusts the temperature according to a pre-set schedule, or when you change it remotely. This can save the average household nearly $200 a year.
- Add energy-efficient windows: Poorly-insulated windows let warm air out in the winter and cold air out in the summer. This can lead to an increase in your heating and cooling costs. There are a couple ways to make sure your windows are energy efficient. First, you can replace the seals around older windows that are still functioning well. Alternatively, you can replace windows with Energy Star-rated windows made for regulating the temperature. Talk to your home remodeling contractor to learn more about your options.
- Upgrade the HVAC: If you have the budget for a new Energy Star-rated HVAC system, get one. These systems are energy efficient, which will save you money in the long run. Whether you upgrade your HVAC or not, improving the ventilation system is another way to save power.
- Add more insulation: A properly insulated house stays cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. To save electricity, make sure you’re installing the proper R-value of insulation in your home’s walls, attic, basement, floors and crawlspaces. Consider scheduling an inspection to see if you need to replace the insulation, or if simply adding more insulation will suffice.
At Apple Construction LLC, we want to help you create the home of your dreams. Call us today to begin planning your energy-efficient remodel in Santa Fe, NM!
Categorised in: Remodeling